Thursday 3 March 2016

Book Review | Island Home by Tim Winton

Island HomeIsland Home by Tim Winton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought this was a beautifully written memoir, not exactly what I'd expected, I thought it would be all about Winton, maybe I should've paid more attention to the 'A Landscape Memoir' part of the title! It is a collection of vignettes from Winton's childhood growning up in WA and those places today.

This was an evocative read, I loved the story of the blow hole rock, I felt drawn back to parts of my childhood by the beach, with summer's spent fossicking at the beach and swimming through caves similar to the one Winton describes. I liked his thoughts behind why we like architecture - we've gotten rid of all these amazing natural structures, so we compensate with man made beauty.

I didn't realise that this would focus so much on conservationism and environment, it was a nice surprise but also a sad one, Winton mentions that Australia has one of the highest level of animal extinction in the world. He also mentions the losses Western Australia has experienced to the landscape via over farming and poor land management. I feel like I learned something without being preached at.

This one was recommended to me by a patron at work and I'm really happy that I read it, rather than letting it sit on Mt. TBR.


View all my reviews

Until next time, happy reading.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...